When do you make that decision to home school your child or send them to school?
When it comes to your child’s education, you want to know if you are making the right choice. But each child is unique when it comes to learning, and to home school might be right for one child, but not the best option for the other.
Here are a few points to consider when deciding if home school is the right option:
- Homeschooling offers a more specialised and focused one-on-one education and also allows you to choose whether to incorporate certain religions and traditions.
- Public schools teach children a certain degree of independence as children need to keep track of their own class schedules, switching in between classes and will have to do without the “spoon-feeding” we as parents are guilty of.
- Children who attend public school have more opportunities to socialize which a crucial part of any child’s development whereas homeschooling your child deprives them of interacting with children of different ages, religions and cultures.
- Homeschooling can promote better family relationships – many parents find that they enjoy spending more time with their child in this regard.
- Public schools have a wide variety of extra extracurricular activities- this can become quite costly when homeschooling.
Both options come with their own set of challenges so before you decide to home school your child or send them to a public school, take the time to thoroughly consider your options explore your options from all angles. You may even find that one of your children thrive in a more “closed off” environment and the other in a public school setting. Ultimately our jobs as parents are to provide for our child’s needs to the best of our abilities and at the end of the day that’s all that matters.
Have a look at some online school programs in South Africa from R – 12: https://www.teneoschool.co.za/
*Other parenting articles on this site: How to cope as a Momtrepreneur